Sun, 04 Apr|
Online Google Meet
How to prevent damages and trips caused by lightning strikes on overhead lines?
By, Mubarak Khan Country Head - Streamer Electric AG
Time & Location
04-Apr-2021, 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm
Online Google Meet
About the Event
Lightning is a very common natural phenomenon. About 6 lightning strikes hit the Earth’s surface each second. India falls under heavy lightening prone zones with upto 30-40 lightening flashes per square km per year which is among the highest worldwide. Lightning impact is a serious issue for utilities, it causes heavy financial loss because of,
- Damage of transformers,
- Metal oxide arrester breakage,
- Insulator flashover,
- Conductor breakage in covered conductors and
- Outages & trips.
Conventional surge arresters, designed to protect equipment against overvoltage, can also be affected by a lightning strike. When lightning impulse exceeds the discharge capability of a conventional surge arrester, varistor units can fail, leading to ground fault. Moreover performance of surge arrester highly depends on the efficiency of earthing system, it is most of the times very difficult to achieve desired earthing resistance.
It's our pleasure to introduce to you "LLPD - Line Lightning Protection device" for overhead lines upto 69kV invented and patented by Streamer Electric AG, Switzerland. There are More than 1.8 million LLPDs installed worldwide. The LLPDs work on EasyQuench technology, EasyQuench is a unique technology, developed and improved since 1996 by Streamer. LLPDs featuring the EasyQuench technology protect overhead lines against direct and indirect lightning strikes, thus helping to prevent breakage of conductors, insulators and power outages. Due to their operating principle and design,
- They have the ability to prevent the effects of direct lightning strike, indirect lightning strike and lightening insulation overvoltages etc. on the system.
- They can withstand direct lightning strike, indirect lightning strike and lightening insulation overvoltages etc. Without getting damaged.
- They are highly reliable and have long life span, the device is self-protected.
- High discharge capabilities, truly adapted to line requirements.
- Easy to install, no maintenance required.
- They have the ability to operate with a high level of footing resistance.
- They prevent damage of Metal oxide arresters, insulators, overhead lines, covered conductors, substation equipment etc.
- They prevent outages and voltage dip at the time of lightning as the quench the lightning arc within 7-8ms before first zero crossing.